I posted bail. How do I get my bail money back?

If the case is still open, the Court will usually require the bail to remain on deposit to ensure the defendant's appearance in court. After the case is closed, any remaining bail (after it is applied to the restitution, fine, court costs, assessments, and surcharges) will be returned to the person whom posted the bail. A bail refund check is usually mailed within 30 days of sentencing/disposition of the case. If you do not receive the bail refund after three weeks of the closing of the case, you may contact our office at 262-284-8418.
Note that if the defendant failed to appear for a court date, the judge may order the bail forfeited and issue a bench warrant for the arrest of the defendant. If the bail is ordered forfeited, our office will mail a notice to both the defendant and the person who posted bail.

Show All Answers

1. Where can I obtain a transcript of my hearing?
2. How long are case files kept?
3. How do I find my case number and case information?
4. How do I get copies of documents in a case file?
5. I received a traffic citation. What should I do?
6. I wish to contest my citation, what do I do?
7. Can I request Clerk of Circuit Court office staff to change my court date?
8. I didn't show up for court. What happens now?
9. I have a warrant, what should I do?
10. My driver's license has been suspended because I didn't pay my fine. What should I do?
11. How can I reopen my civil traffic or forfeiture case?
12. How do I get a lawyer?
13. I posted bail. How do I get my bail money back?
14. Why was my State tax refund intercepted?
15. How do I satisfy a judgment for a debt discharged in bankruptcy?
16. How do I exempt my vehicle from an ignition interlock order?
17. Where do I get forms to file for post-judgment actions in family?
18. Where do I get forms to file for divorce?
19. Where do I get forms to file a small claims action?
20. I can't make my court date. How do I reschedule a court date?
21. What if there are no forms for my situation?
22. What form do I use that allows a party dissatisfied with the results of a hearing before the Family Court Commissioner to request a new hearing on the same issues before a circuit judge?
23. How can I appeal a circuit court decision?